Overhead Electric Lines
Electrical energy constantly seeks a path to the ground. If you touch an uninsulated line with an object or your body, you become this path. The result can be severe injury or death. When you are working around electric overhead lines, follow these rules:
- Watch where you are going.
- Stay clear of all electric lines.
- Do not touch electric lines, even if you think they are inactive.
- Keep all machinery, equipment, materials, scaffolding tools, boat masts, fruit-picking poles, antennas, satellite dishes, pool skimmers handles, metal ladders and people, etc. at least 10 feet away from the lines. If it looks like they will be in your way, call us at 320-235-4422. Depending on the nature of your job, we may be able to turn off the electricity, cover the lines, or even move them while you complete your work.
- Do not remove anything caught in electric lines — not even an animal. Instead, call Willmar Municipal Utilities immediately at 320-235-4422.
Underground Electric Lines
Hazards you don’t see, like underground electric lines, are easy to ignore or forget. Yet the danger is just as great. Digging, drilling or blasting can damage these underground lines and cause electrocution or fire.
To avoid an accident, simply call Gopher State One-Call at 1-507-252-1166, or 811. They will send someone to your site to show you exactly where our lines are buried. Best of all, this service is free.
Fallen Electric Lines
Fallen electric lines are extremely dangerous.
Report any downed lines to Willmar Municipal Utilities immediately by calling 320-235-4422. Never touch a downed line or anyone in contact with the line. Always assume a downed line is live.
Beware of a downed electric line touching a vehicle. Stay clear of the vehicle and the electric line. If an electric line touches your vehicle while you are inside, remain calm and follow these directions:
- If you can do so safely, stay inside the vehicle until emergency help arrives.
- Warn others to stay away from the vehicle and direct them to call Willmar Municipal Utilities.
- If you must get out of the vehicle for safety reasons, jump clear. Do not touch the vehicle and the ground at the same time.